Dating Violence: is defined as violence by a person who has been in a romantic or intimate relationship with the victim. Whether there was such relationship will be gauged by its length, type, and frequency of interaction.
Dating Violence [as defined by the State of Florida, other states utilize similar definitions] as violence between individuals who have or have had a continuing and significant relationship of a romantic or intimate nature. The existence of such a relationship shall be determined based on the consideration of the following factors:
1. A dating relationship must have existed within the past six months;
2. The nature of the relationship must have been characterized by the expectation of affection or sexual involvement between the parties; and
3. The frequency and type of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship must have included that the persons have been involved over time and on a continuous
- Stalking: is defined as engaging in a course of conduct (e.g., repeatedly following, harassing, threatening or intimidating another by telephone, mail, electronic communication, social media, or any other action, device or method) directed at a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to (a) fear for his or her safety or the safety of others; or (b) suffer other emotional distress.
Stalking also includes the concept of cyber-stalking, a particular form of stalking in which electronic media such as the internet, social networks, blogs, cell phones, texts, or other similar devices or forms of contact are used to pursue, harass, or to make unwelcome contact with another person in an unsolicited fashion.
Examples of stalking include:
-Unwelcome and repeated visual or physical proximity to a person;
-Repeated oral or written threats;
-Extortion of money or valuables;
-Unwelcome/unsolicited written communication, including letters, cards, emails, instant messages, and messages on on-line bulletin boards;
- -Unwelcome/unsolicited communications about a person, their family, friends, or co- workers;
- -Sending/posting unwelcome and/or unsolicited messages with another username;
- -Implicitly threatening physical conduct or any combination of these behaviors directed toward an individual person.
Stalking [as defined by the State of Florida, other states utilize similar definitions] as the willful, malicious and repeated following or harassing of a specific person that would cause a reasonable person to fear for his or her safety or the safety of others; or suffer substantial emotional distress; or an aggravated stalking, which means the willful, malicious and repeated following or harassing another with credible threats with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury; or willfully, maliciously, repeatedly following or harassing a minor under age 16; or after injunction for protection or any court-imposed prohibition of conduct, knowingly, willfully, maliciously and repeatedly follows or harasses another person.